Giambattista Valli put on one of the most talked-about shows at Paris Haute Couture Fashion Week with a Mediterranean-themed collection.
Related story: Sight Unseen commissions Memphis-influenced print collection
The show began with black and white striped silk garments, with material gathered into skirts or draped into dresses to create a courtier version of casual poolside attire.
Stripes continued on pencil skirts, some of which featured sheer strips and sequinned panels, creating a 1960s feel.
Flared calf-length skirts on strapless and high-necked dresses took this one step further, referencing the holiday attire of golden-age Hollywood stars.
Tulle dresses were scattered with embroidered and appliqued fabric flowers in purple, yellow, pink, white and green.
Floral patterns covered a series of floor-length silk chiffon dresses, while frilled tops included bunches of purple petals.
Flowing monochrome dresses had long sleeves in black and white, accessorised with golden belts and necklaces.
A full-length goat-hair cape with black and white patches was worn over one billowing lightweight gown.
Models wore white, or black and white, scarves tied into a knot on top of their head.
The show closed with gowns that featured collared shirt tops paired with voluminous ruffled chiffon skirts in gradated pastel colours.
Italian-born Valli has a studio in Paris and put on his first solo show in the city in 2005. This season's Paris Haute Couture Fashion Week continues until 11 July.
- New Danish Modern by Normann Copenhagen
- Campana brothers design Camper accessori…es for London exhibition
- Gabriela Ligenza launches 3D-printed hat…s for Ascot
- Blossom suspension lights by Hella Jonge…rius
- Sam Pearce has "reinvented the wheel" by… replacing spokes with springs
- Stewie by Luca Nichetto for Foscarini
- JamesPlumb repurposes antique Burnished …Indigo fabric for lampshades and sofa upholstery
- Luca Nichetto's Notes screens hang from …the ceiling
- Paper rings by Tithi Kutchamuch and Nutr…e Arayavanish
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories