These new shots by British photographers Hufton + Crow document the seven extraordinary bus shelters created in a tiny Austrian village by architects including Sou Fujimoto, Smiljan Radić and Wang Shu (+ slideshow).
The Bus:Stop project was initiated to help boost tourism in Krumbach, a picturesque village within the once-forested Bregenzerwald district, as well as to foster an exchange of ideas with local craftspeople.
Seven architects – also including Norwegian studio RintalaEggertsson Architects, Ensamble Studio from Spain, Architecten de Vylder Vinck Taillieu from Belgium and Russian architect Alexander Brodsky – were invited to partner with a local creative business to design and build a small structure.
The results include an angular steel tent, a forest of steel columns, a wooden lookout point and an overlapping pair of shingle-clad boxes.
There is also a glass vessel with a bird box on top, a rugged pile of oak planks and a wooden framework mimicking a camera obscura.
Hufton + Crow's Allan Crow visited the village on a quiet summer's day, quickly discovering that the shelters are only used within the working day.
"We like to shoot people as much as possible in our work. We believe the people are as much of the story as the architecture," he told Dezeen.
"I was trying to capture the bus stops in the best possible light, which meant shooting at 9pm and 6am. This meant there was no one there! I had to race around Krumbach in a hire car, jumping out at the bus stops and setting the camera to self timer and then running across the road to sit in the bus stop myself. The people that were around must have thought I was completely mad!" he said.
- Olson Kundig's Tacoma Art Museum wing …has movable screens that "roll like railroad box cars"
- Herzog & de Meuron creates naturally f…iltered swimming pool in Switzerland
- Postmodernism is back: introducing Dez…een's Pomo summer
- House with a Wall by Masao Yahagi Arch…itects
- Wilkinson Eyre's cooled conservatories… at Gardens by the Bay are "about having fun"
- Pestalozzi School by SOMAA
- Brutalist buildings: Habitat 67, Montr…eal by Moshe Safdie
- J House by Isolation Unit and Yosuke I…chii
- Protruding brickwork gives a ribbed fa…cade to Lezze's House VR in Belgium
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories