Torafu Architects designed Dice as a multi-purpose piece of furniture that can be used in three different ways depending on which way up it's facing.
"We designed a piece of furniture with multiple resting positions that can be used by young children up until they reach adulthood by rolling it over like a dice," said the designers.
The product is made from interlocking wooden panels with curved edges, formed within the parameters of a cube.
In the first scenario, two staggered platforms form a bench and table for small children to use as a desk.
Rolled over, a flat surface that covers all of one side creates a stool for adults.
The surfaces that form supports for the desk can be used as shelves when the product is flipped again.
"By avoiding the constraints imposed by single-purpose furniture, we created a multi-purpose piece of furniture that can be used as a companion evolving with us through life so that we can continue using with nostalgia our childhood furniture even after we become adults," said Torafu Architects.
All edges are covered in coloured rubber strips so they don't scratch floors and to protect the wood when rolled over. Panels intended for contact with the body are stained in pastel tones.
"Characterised by rounded shapes, Dice possesses both easily adaptable functionality and a cute appearance fostering a feeling of gentleness," the designers said.
Two types of plywood finish are available. The lighter version features blue rubber edging, while the darker version uses yellow.
Torafu Architects has also designed a set of wooden storage boxes that stack up to make little trolleys and A-shaped stools that slot together to make a bench.
Photography is by Yosuke Owashi.
- Taxing Art by Beta Tank
- Ettore Sottsass: A Survey, 1992 – 2007… at Friedman Benda
- Ilona Van den Bergh's Moon bowls are def…ormed after casting
- Nir Meiri stacks Babilus Vases from ring…s of bamboo, chipboard and Corian
- Peng You's Fugu bag inflates to protect …your gadgets
- Today at Dezeen Platform: Victoria Spruc…e
- Drawstring Lamp by Design Stories and Re…turhuset
- The Poor Man's Gold by Joost van Bleiswi…jk
- Jeonghwa Seo experiments with form for S…tructure For Use benches
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories