Belgian studio Fou de Feu has created a collection of tableware shaped like teardrops from a range of materials (+ slideshow).
Fou de Feu founder Veerle Van Overloop designed plates, cups, spoons, table mats and cutting boards to form the Rhythm collection.
Related story: Ceramics by Fou de Feu
Square place mats and cutting boards are made from slip-cast porcelain, Carrara marble, beech wood and hand-cut leather.
"The materials seemed like a perfect match; each has its own specific cleanliness - the feel of something handmade, the warmth of leather and the coolness of marble, the contrast between warm and cool, is an uncommon combination," Van Overloop told Dezeen.
The designs feature three rounded corners and one pointed tip so they resemble teardrops with extended sides.
Each is available in multiple concentric sizes, with the smallest shaped like a full teardrop. Slightly smaller again, droplet-shaped ceramic cups complete the set, alongside simply designed porcelain spoons.
The size variations within the collection are intended to encourage the user to find their own way to use each piece.
"The sizes were created out of playfulness, so the user is personally stimulated to find a preferred function for each object or dish," said the designer.
"Different sizes give every table its own rhythm. With this collection people will get a different take on classical plates and cups and see that crockery can have personality too."
Fou de Feu's previous ceramics collections include vases shaped like soap bubbles and a lamp with a honey maplewood base.
- Cipria by Fernando and Humberto Campana …for Edra
- Jólan van der Wiel creates spiky shoes …for Iris van Herpen using magnets
- "Start a recycling centre" with Dave Hak…kens' Precious Plastic factory
- Nike x Sacai capsule collection aims to …make sportswear more feminine
- Minimal Nativity Set made of plain woode…n blocks by Emilie Voirin
- Lego Minifigures hacked with Sugru to cr…eate iPhone cable holders
- Mutewatch at Dezeen Watch Store
- Louis Vuitton realises unbuilt Charlotte… Perriand beach house in Miami
- Neo Collection by Made.com
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories