A furniture design graduate, Marcus began his journalism career writing for publications including Blueprint, The Guardian, The Independent on Sunday and Conde Nast Traveller. He launched icon, the international architecture and design magazine, in 2003, and edited the publication until November 2006.
Under Marcus, the magazine rapidly established itself as one of the world’s most influential and respected design journals, winning a string of awards including Launch of the Year and Designer of the Year in 2003 and Monthly Magazine of the Year in 2005 and 2006. Marcus himself has won numerous awards, including Journalist of the Year (2002) and Architectural Journalist of the Year (2004). He won a BSME award for Best Brand-Building Initiative in 2005.
He also regularly appears on radio and TV, writing and presenting a documentary about French designer Philippe Starck for the BBC in 2003 and appearing in the major BBC series Home in 2006. An accomplished public speaker, Marcus has spoken at conferences in London, Tokyo, New York, Stockholm and Cape Town, among others.
Marcus launched Dezeen at the end of November 2006 and the site has grown rapidly ever since, now attracting over 1.75 million unique visitors every month. It is widely regarded as one of the most influential design websites in the world.
In 2007 he was joined by Rupinder Bhogal and together they set up Dezeen Limited, which they now run as co-directors. They launched the recruitment site Dezeen Jobs in 2008, followed by Dezeen Watch Store in 2010.
As founder and editor-in-chief of Dezeen, Marcus has won awards including the BSME's Business Editor of the Year in 2013. In the same year he was named one of the 100 most influential figures in the UK creative industries by the Hospital Club. In 2011, French magazine Architectural Digest placed him in the 100 qui comptent list of the most important figures in global design.
Other books by Marcus are Twenty-First Century Design (originally published in October 2006 and now in its third edition), Green Design (published March 2009) and Dezeen Book of Ideas (published September 2001).
Marcus lives and works in London.
Stories by Marcus Fairs
- Bombo stool by Stefano Giovannoni is wor…ld's "most copied" design product
- Hella Jongerius calls for "new holistic …approach to design"
- Designing a McLaren is about creating "e…fficiency through the air"
- McLaren investigates driverless supercar…s that change shape
- B&B Italia in takeover talks with A…merican suitor
- Moooi co-founders buy remaining stake fr…om B&B Italia
- Foster's London towers to feature one bi…ke parking space per bedroom
- Fab co-founder returns with Bezar, a new… marketplace for emerging designers
- Cladding panel falls off Zaha Hadid's Vi…enna library