A furniture design graduate, Marcus began his journalism career writing for publications including Blueprint, The Guardian, The Independent on Sunday and Conde Nast Traveller. He launched icon, the international architecture and design magazine, in 2003, and edited the publication until November 2006.
Under Marcus, the magazine rapidly established itself as one of the world’s most influential and respected design journals, winning a string of awards including Launch of the Year and Designer of the Year in 2003 and Monthly Magazine of the Year in 2005 and 2006. Marcus himself has won numerous awards, including Journalist of the Year (2002) and Architectural Journalist of the Year (2004). He won a BSME award for Best Brand-Building Initiative in 2005.
He also regularly appears on radio and TV, writing and presenting a documentary about French designer Philippe Starck for the BBC in 2003 and appearing in the major BBC series Home in 2006. An accomplished public speaker, Marcus has spoken at conferences in London, Tokyo, New York, Stockholm and Cape Town, among others. Marcus lives and works in London.
Stories by Marcus Fairs
- One-room prefab house by Jean Prouvé on… sale at Design Miami for $2.5m
- High-tech lighting installation by Simon… Heijdens creates "3D drawings in water"
- Nook's Barcelona apartment refurb remove…s walls but leaves original tiled floors intact
- Zaha Hadid dismisses "ridiculous" claims… that Qatar stadium resembles a vagina
- Alec Issigonis "would be happy that MINI… is alive and kicking" says BMW design chief
- Robot surgeons to operate on beating hum…an hearts
- Synthetic creatures could "save nature" …says Alexandra Daisy Ginsberg
- Foster's flaccid Gherkin used to adverti…se erectile dysfunction treatment
- British architecture "showing a clear re…covery"