The chair features seven oblique wooden rods embedded in a block of acrylic.
Here's Moureaux's explanation:
Prototype exhibited during the 100% Design Tokyo 2007 show to finally embody the long-thought idea. The inspiration of "stick chair" came from the "mikado", a pick-up sticks game originating in Europe.
A total of 7 thin round wooden sticks (φ18), placed obliquely support the heavy chunk of acrylic seat at the perfect balance. This architecture like structure was developed after many attempts to achieve an "unbalanced balance," which stabilizes the structure although looks unstable by coming closer to the structural limit.
Due to its beautiful refraction effects, those sticks appear as if they are soaked underwater.
- Anderssen & Voll reinterprets Magis' ga…s-lift barstool
- ID Chair Concept by Antonio Citterio for… Vitra
- Dune Formations by Zaha Hadid 2
- TV Easel by Axel Bjurström
- Nomadic Furniture by Jorge Penadés
- Jar Tops by Jorre van Ast
- "We wanted to wake people's curiosity ab…out whisky"
- MYchair by UNStudio
- Trees for Lycée Germaine Tillon by Mata…li Crasset
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories