The chair features seven oblique wooden rods embedded in a block of acrylic.
Here's Moureaux's explanation:
Prototype exhibited during the 100% Design Tokyo 2007 show to finally embody the long-thought idea. The inspiration of "stick chair" came from the "mikado", a pick-up sticks game originating in Europe.
A total of 7 thin round wooden sticks (φ18), placed obliquely support the heavy chunk of acrylic seat at the perfect balance. This architecture like structure was developed after many attempts to achieve an "unbalanced balance," which stabilizes the structure although looks unstable by coming closer to the structural limit.
Due to its beautiful refraction effects, those sticks appear as if they are soaked underwater.
- Designed in Hackney: Hackney Empireby Ho…use of Hackney
- Oogst 100 Community by Tjep.
- Whackpack Furniture by Brendan Magennis
- Circle or Dot by Giha Woo
- Luno by Martin Jakobsen
- Smart cup by Yves Behar knows precisely …what's in your drink
- Nendo presents K% collection at Luminair…e
- Glass Experiences by the Campana Brother…s
- Blocco stool by Naoto Fukasawa for Plank
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories