New Designers 08: Sit, a dog-shaped lamp with a glass shade for a head, is one of a range of designs based on 19th century forms by graduate designer Fiona Thomson.
Here's some info from Thomson:
My collection re-visits a selection of 19th century iconic forms, which i have adapted and utilized for modern 21st century products. Each piece embodies hidden technology, transforming an ornamental object into a functional and practical object. Or as i like to say intelligence beneath the elegance!
Cordless Candelabra: A superior and celebrated icon of traditional ornate lighting design is transformed into a cordless lamp when lifted from its charging dock.
Ode to Beethoven: These Mp3 speakers provide a mass-produced, popular piece of technology with a decorative alternative accessory. This product raises the visual status of what is normally regarded as a subordinate attachment.
Sit: Inspired by large animal statues found in grand 19th century homes, this light combines the lavishly luxurious with the familiar nodding dog. Through the re-appropriation of the stately dog statue, the user is provided with a loyal obedient companion.
- Torafu Architects designs multi-function…al Dice furniture for children and adults
- Designers create transportable leather f…urnishings for Louis Vuitton
- Magnetic dresses by Iris van Herpen and …Jólan van der Wiel
- Paul Loebach's PEG chair slots together …(suggestively)
- Poke Stool by Kyuhyung Cho for Innermost
- Note Design Studio extends Silo lamp col…lection for Zero
- Fredrik Wallner's bathroom furniture for… Swoon can be customised online
- Wästberg lighting collection
- The Thread Wrapping Machine by Anton Alv…arez
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories