The device plugs into a standard electrical socket and displays electrical consumption, encouraging users to reduce their energy use.
Here's more information from Marcel Wanders studio:
On the 28st of March the mayor of Amsterdam, Job Cohen, received the first Wattcher launched by Innovaders and designed by Marcel Wanders studio. The Wattcher is a product that, once plugged in, immediately displays the electricity consumption in your home allowing you to monitor and curb your energy use.
Marcel Wanders designed the Wattcher as the ticking heart of the home. “The design is very clean and has urgency in pointing out your energy consumption. Wattcher is more than just a product; it is a strategy that stimulates awareness.”
The “Battle of Watt’ kicked off this week; numerous Wattchers are being used in the “Battle of Watt” as an initative from Eneco, a Dutch energy supplier. In schools and student’s homes throughout the Netherlands, participants are encouraged to save energy, the aim of the contest. Those that have consumed the least amount of energy win the competition.
- Philippe Starck's Juicy Salif was "the m…ost controversial lemon squeezer of the century"
- Giant Cubebot by David Weeks for Quinze …& Milanand Areaware at MOST
- Österlen by Inga Sempé for Gärsnäs
- Witches' Kitchen by Studio Tord Boontje
- Furniture by Residentat MOST
- Dezeen Platform: Evelin Kasikov
- Hydrogenase by Vincent Callebaut
- Ettore Sottsass: A Survey, 1992 – 2007… at Friedman Benda
- Heinz Beanz Flavour Experience by Bompas… & Parr
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories