Amsterdam artists Afke Golsteijn and Floris Bakker of Idiots have sent us images of their new collection of jewellery and objects featuring stuffed animals.
Each piece features stuffed animals embellished with beads, combined with found objects or completed with blown glass.
More Dezeen stories about taxidermy:
See also: Dezeen's top ten stories about animals.
Here's some information about the artists from Art Kitchen Gallery:
The art of the artist duo Idiots, by Afke Golsteijn and Floris Bakker, is characterized by the use of animal material that is carefully patched up and put into significant positions, combined with rich materials such as embroidery, pearls and gold.
A contemporary touch is given to the classical memento mori concept, questioning the way the world nowadays seems to be determined by nothing else than just marketing.
In a constantly twisting play between fantasy and reality Idiots emphasizes the borderline between life and death.
The striking beauty and the vividness of the animals that figure in the works provoke an immediate attraction, but directly after the first glance one starts wondering what is going on exactly, thrilled by the perspective of transience that is brought forward.
Animals are reborn to remind people of the life they lived, but also to suggest an alternative history, in which they rule the world.
The resemblance to the archetypes known from fables and fairy tales is obvious.
From a similar moral perspective Idiots criticizes the contemporary way of life, although the representation of these famous stories is not the duo’s main aspiration.
If one can speak of a certain objective in Idiots’ art it is to bring people closer to an honest perception of reality pictured through a lens of critical fantasy.
Text by art Kitchen Gallery.
- Behind the scenes with Dominic Wilcox ma…king his "stained-glass driverless car"
- Papernomad at The Temporium
- Karimoku New Standard by Isolation Unit …and others
- BaObab by Philippe Starck for Vitra
- Nature V2.01 by Draw Me a Sheep
- Origami dresses by Jule Waibel designed …for Bershka stores in 25 cities
- E.L.A by Bozhinovskidesign
- Jasper Morrison's latest products for Vi…tra to feature at London Design Festival
- Konstantin Grcic adds armchair to Pro se…ating collection for Flötotto
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories