London Design Festival 09: Manchester designer Liam Hopkins of Lazerian has created a collection of candle holders shaped like laboratory beakers.
The range is named the Minerals Collection because each design is named after a different mineral used to add colour to candles.
Made of beech, the collection consists of five shapes available in three sizes.
The designs will be launched at 100% design in London next month.
See all our stories about London Design Festival 2009 in our special category.
Here's some more information from Liam Hopkins:
Lazerian's philosophy of experimental practice can again be seen in their latest range of Candle holders "The minerals collection".
Drawing inspiration from science experimentation, Liam Hopkins has managed to integrate the fields of practical science exploration and experimental design practice. Liam began the process by careful investigation into how candles are formed and how they burn, each resulting in a unique final form.
During research his attention was drawn towards Conical flasks and their distinctive appearance.
By incorporating the aesthetic qualities of the flasks into a functional candle holder, Lazerian have made it possible for each customer to have a unique product which, through use will increasingly resemble a functional conical flask.
Each of the 5 designs are made of high quality solid beech and take their name from minerals that are used to give the candles their distinct colour.
The range is available in 3 sizes, to be released at 100% design in September along with a selection of other new designs.
- Stitch Room by Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec
- Paralympic design: Nike Spike Pad for Os…car Pistorius
- Wooden Giants by PostlerFerguson
- Barber and Osgerby's Design Museum exhib…ition "could almost be called the aluminium show"
- Andreas Engesvik applies simple geometri…es to Fogia furniture
- Drawing vessels by Fumiaki Goto
- Shenzhen International Airport Terminal …3 by Massimiliano and Doriana Fuksas
- Dezeen Platform: studio vit
- Cradle by Benjamin Hubert for Moroso
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories