Called Lampada, the collection includes a desk, table and floor light, each produced in a limited edition of 49.
The lamps are made of sintered alumina, normally used in the electronics and aerospace industries as an electrical insulator with a high level of heat resistance.
Super Design opens tomorrow and continues until 18 October. The lamps will then be available from Vessel Gallery in London.
Here's some more information from Vessel Gallery:
LAMPADA by Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec
In collaboration with Bitossi Ceramiche
Worldwide Launch 15th-18th October 2009 at Super Design, London
Later on showing at Vessel Gallery from 24th October - 31st December 2009
Vessel Gallery is proud to launch LAMPADA, a lighting project by the Bouroullec brothers exploring the connection between technical ceramics in the form of art and design. The lamps are made in Sintered Alumina, a material produced for technical purposes in different ﬁelds of electronics as the material doesn't conduct electricity, used in aerospace technologies and many other ﬁelds where a high heat resistance is required. Industrie Bitossi has been producing this material since 1960.
Bitossi Ceramiche, a historical ceramic manufacturer known for important design projects with artists like Ettore Sottsass, Karim Rashid, Arik Levy and many others, decided to face the hard challenge together with the Bouroullec brothers who were immediately fascinated by the aesthetical potentialities of this material. Ceramic Alumina is white, with a smooth and velvet-like surface. It is aesthetically so charming that it was unavoidable to turn it into pure design objects.
Lampada will have it’s first presentation at Super Design* on the 15th October in Belgrave Square London. It will later be exclusively shown in the UK at Vessel Gallery.
Lampada comes in three different heights, as a desk lamp height 55cm, a table lamp height 66cm and a floor lamp height 77cm. Each size available in edition of 49pcs worldwide.
Lampada by the Bouroullec brothers
For Bisotti Ceramiche in Edition of 49 pieces
Available at Vessel Gallery
- Design Department Store at SCP
- Essentials II by Patrik Muff for Nymphen…burg
- Woodworker designs solid ash bike for "e…xceptional comfort"
- W-eye by Matteo Ragni for MAWOOD
- Robert Stadler drapes furniture in patte…rned "invisibility cloaks" for MAK museum installation
- Marlies Schets' reflective fabrics turn …everyday accessories into cycling safety gear
- Clemens Weisshaar and Reed Kram design c…ar-sharing programme for Audi
- Normann Copenhagen launches Form furnitu…re by Simon Legald
- Orolog by Jaime Hayon launches exclusive…ly at Dezeen Watch Store pop-up
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories