Hungarian studio A+ Z Designers have created a range of items inspired by Gypsy culture, and made from traditional materials and methods.
The Gipsy Furniture Collection consists of a table, bench, lamp, wine cooler and chair. The Tek (above) is a hand-carved hardwood bench upholstered with black sheep's wool.
The Bogrács (above) is an enamelled steel lamp that comes in a range of sizes and hangs from a spring.
The Bödön is an enamelled steel wine cooler and stool finished with a traditionally embroidered cushion.
The Puli lounge chair has a perforated metal frame upholstered with recycled strips of fabric.
The Tuzhely table is painted hardwood and has a built-in stove.
Here's some more from the designers:
The Gipsy Furniture Collection by a+z is a series of items inspired by the folk culture of Hungary and Transylvania.
It was driven by the desire to keep many of their disappearing cultural traditions alive.
a+z felt that many of the items used within the gipsy and folk culture of Hungary and Transylvania had become overlooked or obsolete, yet each of these objects has a story and centuries of traditional craft techniques behind them.
a+z wanted to give these items new lives in a contemporary design context keeping the narratives and soul of the products. Although their starting point was emotional it also taps into the need to recycle.
It echoes the needs for big changes in the world now and the question of what is valuable.
The collection includes
1. "teknő" bench for two : hand carved wood shell, hard wood legs, black sheep wool pillow.
2. tuzhely - Bonefire/After Glow low table: custom made painted hard wood, built in campingaz stove and lantern
3. "bödön" wine cooler and storage hocker/stool: Enameled steel, cushion: foam + hand made Hungarian embroidery color: red, black
4. "bogrács" suspension lamp with spring suspension, Enameled steel and chain, (measure: 4-25 liter) color: black
5. "PULI" lounge chair, Perforated metal shell, recycled textile, wool, leather, colour: mixed black, brown and grey
a+z design are Attila F Kovacs and Zsuzsa Megyesi.
Attila studied architecture and design and spent over ten years in the film industry, designing sets for feature films and commercials
He also spent two years in Turin where he designed sets for the Royal Opera House.
His bar and restaurant designs in Budapest are award-winning and have been featured in renowned international designed publications. Attila has just finished working on the set design for the movie Bel Ami, starring Robert Pattinson, Uma Thurman and Christina Ricci.
He has recently teamed up with partner, Zsuzsa, Megyesi an interior designer and stylist, to produce their furniture and lighting collections.
They will be launching their Gypsy Collection of hand-carved and hand-painted furniture and custom-made lighting at Tent London 2010 Truman Brewery, London 23-26 September.
by Johan Lindstén
|Tile Stove Project
by Dick van Hoff
- Lightweight by Studio Tord Boontje
- Mama Look by Anna Kraitz
- NewspaperWood by Mieke Meijer and Vij5
- The Temporium on llustre.com
- Watches by Uniform Wares
- New collection by La Chance
- Mathieu Lehanneur wraps Hybrid radio for… Lexon in woven rattan
- Ar Vag by Thibault Penven /ECAL
- Alizz.Cooper by Ingo Maurer
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories