Each object is made by wrapping strips of felt around wooden structures and coating one side in silicon, which soaks into the fibres to form a rigid object.
Prototypes of the project were first shown at Ten Small Atlases in Milan last April.
The exhibition opens today and continues until 15 January 2011.
The information that follows is from Raw Edges:
The Coiling Collection
Yael Mer & Shay Alkalay – Raw-Edges
A collection of interior objects made out of 100% Woollen felt and silicon –2010
Long strip of felt is coiled and formed into a three dimensional body. One side of the felt is being left in its natural softness, where the other side is saturated with silicon. The felt absorbs the silicon into its fibres and together they set into a hybrid material with structural build.
The principle has been inspired by composite materials, a combination between bonding and structural materials, similar to reinforce concrete or the ancient cob set from mud and straw.
The show in FAT Galerie Paris includes seven new prototypes made out of 326 meters of felt in total.
1. Standing Bowl
16 Meter of 9mm Grey Felt + Pink Silicon + Sapele wood
2. Coffee Table – 60cm Diameter
54 Meter of 5mm Terracotta Felt + Brown Silicon – Mixture of Wood
3. Dark Green Stool
46 Meter of 3mm Dark Green felt + Dark Green Silicon + Sapele wood
4. Orange Stool
30 Meter of 5mm Orange felt + Orange Silicon + Sapele wood
5. BFA Stool
64 Meter of 3mm Green/Yellow felt + Dark Green Silicon + Sapele wood
6. Grey Chair
22 Meter of 9mm Grey felt + Dark Grey Silicon + Beech wood
94 Meter of 2mm Light Blue Felt + Light Grey Silicon
|Coiled by BCXSY for
Editions in Craft
|Thermal Till Paper Vessels
by Philippe Malouin
|More work by
- Issue No.1 by Laetitia de Allegri and Ev…a Feldkamp
- Inside Urban by The Emotion Lab
- Furniture by Simon Hasan for Vauxhall Co…llective
- Fritz Hansen reintroduces Arne Jacobsen …chair with new wooden legs
- Silver Sugar Spoon by Studio Makkink & B…ey
- Custhom launches digitally embroidered w…allpaper
- The Sugar Lab by Kyle and Liz von Hassel…n
- Couture by Marcel Wanders for Graham & B…rown
- Boiler Suit by Thomas Heatherwick
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories