Helsinki studio Avanto Architects have completed this house with four wings overlooking four distinct views in Virrat, Finland.
Called Four-Cornered Villa, the house is stained black on the outside and clad with light wood inside.
The lakeside building has no running water and draws power from solar cells.
Photographs are by Anders Portman and Martin Sommerschield.
The information below is from Avanto Architects:
The site is situated on a horse shoe shaped island and faces north and east. The cross like shape of this simple villa reaches towards four very different views.
The space is open and defined at the same time. The exterior is treated all black and to contrast the interior is very light.
Dark color makes the building disappear totally when seen from the lake. The roof is flat – there is some warm irony to the clichés of modern architecture.
The building is insulated well and heated by wood only resulting in a carbon neutral building.
There is no running water and the electricity is provided by the sun. Vegetables and herbs are cultivated on site and the Vaskivesi Lake is known as a good place to catch pike-perch.
The simple and ascetic life at the countryside differs dramatically from the hectic city life and provides a possibility to live a life with a minimum impact to the nature.
Gross floor area:78 m2 + sauna 24m2
Budget: 150 000 €
Client: The architect
Structural design: Konstru Oy / Jorma Eskola
Electrical design: Virtain Sähkötyö Oy / Väinö Sipilä
- Timber-clad House M-M by Tuomas Siitonen… wraps around a sheltered garden
- Messner Mountain Museum Corones by Zaha …Hadid Architects
- Sowa Unit by Kensuke Watanabe
- Live-in gallery and studio by Flat House… hides utility rooms in a central cylinder
- Home.Haus by J. Mayer H. and Sebastian F…inckh
- Zoological Park of St Petersburg by TN P…lus and Beckmann-N'Thépé
- House with Tiny Pool by NRM-Architects O…ffice
- Praud's Leaning House is tilted upwards …to maximise exposure to views and sunlight
- Arreletes Day Care Centre by Xavier Vila…lta
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories