London Design Festival 2011: Czech designer Maxim Velčovský presents a series of containers made from semi-finished iron piping at Mint in London.
The Local Collection comprises pieces of piping that have been diverted from their intended life as part of the city's plumbing network and joined together to make vases.
The series was on show as part of and exhibition called Mint Explorers at the west London shop as part of the London Design Festival and the exhibition continues until 30 September. See all our stories about the London Design Festival here.
Photographs are by Jara Moravec.
Here's some more information from Maxim Velčovský:
The Local collection is inspired by local identities. Quite recently the oldest porcelain workshop in the Czech Republic got closed.
I reacted by going to the local ironmonger’s shop. In the global era I started working with the stuff you can find in your neighbourhood. The material and the subsequent process in the context of place and time is what make the design really authentic.
The semi-finished products for the production of piping became my building material for the new collection. In the ironmonger’s I have always been fascinated by the parts whose morphology anticipated a function of the object.
The Local Collection makes use of the morphology of parts displayed in anonymous wholesale metal shops. I see these warehouses as boxes with Lego bricks without the original instructions that got lost. Now we can only use our own imagination.
- Fiona Paxton at The Temporium
- Neri Oxman creates wearable 3D-printed… structures for interplanetary voyages
- Blakeley furniture by Studio Roderick …Vos is built from architectural joists
- Emanuele Kabu creates colourful animat…ed music video with paint and marker pens
- Iranzo, Rittler and Kesting create coc…oon-like "cloud" installation
- Microdevices that mimic human organs c…ould replace animal testing
- Papernomad at The Temporium
- Long Chair by Jo Nagasaka + Schemata A…rchitecture Office
- Big Jambox by Yves Behar for Jawbone a…t Dezeen Super Store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories