Designed in Hackney: we're kicking off our new Designed in Hackney initiative today, showcasing world-class architecture and design created in the borough that's home to Dezeen's offices and one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games. First up is the London 2012 Olympic Torch by BarberOsgerby.
The triangular torch will be made from a golden aluminium alloy and perforated by 8000 circular holes representing the 8000 torch-bearers to take part in the Olympic relay, which will pass through Hackney on Saturday 21 July 2012. The design was first unveiled in June last year - read more in our earlier story.
Edward Barber and Jay Osgerby founded their studio in 1996 after graduating from a Masters in architecture at the Royal College of Art in London. The Loop Table produced by Isokon was their first piece to go into production, appearing as a continuous loop of plywood that hovers off the ground at one end. The pair have since worked with international brands including Vitra, Established & Sons, Flos, Cappellini and Sony. See all our stories about their work here.
Their office is based in Charlotte Road, Shoreditch EC2.
Designed in Hackney map:
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We'll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- The Crate Series by Studio Makkink & Bey…
- New London design show announced
- Autumn Winter 2013 collection by Jaimee …McKenna
- Design performances in Basel
- Studio 13/16 by Mathieu Lehanneur at the… Centre Pompidou
- Amazon tests drones that could deliver p…ackages "in less than 30 minutes"
- Designed in Hackney: Crystal Bulb by Lee… Broom
- Fishpond City by Lu Yang, Christian Lind…le and Raoul Bukor
- Roofer by Benjamin Hubert for Fabbian
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories