Milan 2012: London designers Doshi Levien have designed an armchair and sofa for Italian brand Moroso that's inspired by Modernist architect Le Corbusier and the Indian city of Chandigarh that he masterplanned in the 1950s.
The sofa consists of large upholstery pieces, covered in leather or fabric, sitting within a delicate steel frame.
Doshi Levien have also designed a Chandigharh-inspired fabric pattern for the sofa as well as a series of coffee tables to compliment the collection.
Their work was displayed at the Salone Internazionale del Mobile in April.
Here's some more information from Doshi Levien:
Chandigarh Sofas and tables for Moroso.
The city of Chandigarh in India, known for the architecture by Le Corbusier, is the subject and name of the new collection of sofas by Doshi Levien for Moroso.
The principles of modernism, apparently totally unrelated to the city of Chandigarh yet deeply rooted in its identity, have inspired Nipa and Jonathan in the creation of a quintessentially modern seating collection, with a contemporary approach.
“For us the Chandigarh sofa is the coming together of modernity, sensuality, graphics and eccentric qualities”, claim the Anglo-Indian designer couple.
The Chandigarh sofa is soft and comfortable yet at the same time compact, visually slim and lightweight. The seat is in moulded foam and rests on a frame in iron like a precious stone set in a ring.
" The covers are in leather or fabric with a printed pattern designed by Doshi & Levien which pays homage to the memory of the city of Chandigarh.
A series of tables compliment the Chandigarh collection, further enriching the architectural material palette using a combination of glass, terrazzo, polished metal and tubular steel.
- Dezeen Watch Store summer sale: up to 40…% off LunaTik watches
- Zaha Hadid installs aluminium wave over …pool in V&A museum garden
- East Side Story by Sibling
- Folding Plug by Min-Kyu Choi
- Objets by Seung-Yong Song
- TAAT's interactive theatre set is design…ed to "tickle a higher sense of spatial awareness"
- Listen to Your Hands by Lee Sanghyeok
- Heart for Japan by Delphine Perrot
- Crystallization by Iris van Herpen, Dani…el Widrig and .MGX by Materialise
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories