British architect David Adjaye, who was born in Tanzania and grew up in Uganda, proposes offices accommodating thousands of employees as part of a larger proposal by charitable organisation the Made in Africa Foundation to redevelop the Naguru and Nakawa areas of Uganda's capital city.
The architect presented his concept to the government of Uganda alongside fashion designer and Made in Africa Foundation co-founder Ozwald Boateng, and foundation CEO Chris Cleverly. The design features ten tapered towers that will be positioned in a ring to create a circular public square at the heart of the campus.
"So many projects in Africa get stuck at the first hurdle, but the Naguru-Nakawa project has now achieved major milestones, including attracting the talents of world-renowned architect, David Adjaye, who has proposed an iconic office campus employing thousands of Ugandans which will form the centrepiece of the New Kampala," said Boateng.
The Naguru-Nakawa project is Africa's largest urban redevelopment project in history and is intended as a model that can be replicated on other sites across Africa. Once complete, it will also include 3500 homes, a church, a school, shopping centres, restaurants and leisure facilities.
The Made in Africa Foundation raised funds for the project's masterplans and feasibility studies, allowing it to gain momentum and attract investment from property developer Comer Group. The first phase is now underway and includes the construction of 1000 affordable homes designed by Irish firm Plus Architecture.
"For the Made in Africa Foundation to have made such a significant contribution to a project of this importance is a remarkable achievement and is a testament to our belief in making things happen, rather than just talking about them," said co-founder Kola Aluko.
- Swiss Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010 by …Buchner Bründler Architects
- Garden room added to Marseille townhouse… by Marion Bernard Agency
- Japanese house extension by Container De…sign is arranged around a covered courtyard
- Une Maison sur la Maison by THE Architec…tes
- House extension with stepping stones lea…ding inside by Haberstroh Schneider Architekten
- Dalian Football Stadium by UNStudio
- Shelf Hotel by 3Gatti Architecture Studi…o
- Scent Pavilion by Alan Lu
- Inca Public Market by Charmaine Lay and …Carles Muro
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories