Catalan designer Eugeni Quitllet has used plexiglass to create the backrests for wooden chairs in this collection for Italian brand Alias.
The Tabu collection of chairs and a side table is a reinterpretation of traditional craft, using digital technology and modern materials to highlight the natural characteristics of solid wood.
Each element is digitally carved from wood using Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) technology and then combined to create the five different versions in the collection.
The five pieces in the collection include a chair with two uprights as a backrest and a matching bar stool.
One chair features the addition of a Plexiglass backrest across the back supports, while another has a solid backrest.
"The version presenting a Plexiglass backrest is quite innovative and unique in the ambit of wood chair production," said a spokesperson for Alias. "So it is that two quite different materials, wood with its natural connotations, and transparent polymer, fruit of technological research, come together to give life to a metaphysical object."
An occasional table has a similar form to the chairs, but a single upright featuring a decorative leaf at the top of a single stem.
The designs are available in ash, oak or walnut, and with a transparent lacquer or one of 12 coloured stain finishes. The Plexiglass element can be added in different opacities.
- Moon Fragment by Tokujin Yoshioka
- World Cup footballers wear Battlepack …boots by Adidas
- Dmitry Morozov's police truncheon text…s the officer's mother when it is used
- Good Morning moka pot and Tuamotu hob …by Anderssen & Voll
- EVO Urban Utility Bike lets cyclists s…wap clip-on accessories
- Offset by Giorgio Biscaro Design Studi…o
- Orbit by Ziiiro at Dezeen Watch Store
- Punkt. Alarm Clock and Phone by Jasper… Morrison at Dezeen Super Store
- Chroma Key by Minale-Maeda
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories