Catalan designer Eugeni Quitllet has used plexiglass to create the backrests for wooden chairs in this collection for Italian brand Alias.
The Tabu collection of chairs and a side table is a reinterpretation of traditional craft, using digital technology and modern materials to highlight the natural characteristics of solid wood.
Each element is digitally carved from wood using Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) technology and then combined to create the five different versions in the collection.
The five pieces in the collection include a chair with two uprights as a backrest and a matching bar stool.
One chair features the addition of a Plexiglass backrest across the back supports, while another has a solid backrest.
"The version presenting a Plexiglass backrest is quite innovative and unique in the ambit of wood chair production," said a spokesperson for Alias. "So it is that two quite different materials, wood with its natural connotations, and transparent polymer, fruit of technological research, come together to give life to a metaphysical object."
An occasional table has a similar form to the chairs, but a single upright featuring a decorative leaf at the top of a single stem.
The designs are available in ash, oak or walnut, and with a transparent lacquer or one of 12 coloured stain finishes. The Plexiglass element can be added in different opacities.
- Dior's feminine haute couture fashion sh…ow set against white orchids
- Martino Gamper plays with perspective fo…r Prada window installations
- Black Widow by Gisele Ganne
- Natalie Weinmann's slate furniture "not …designed to fit one purpose"
- Nike Vapor Laser Talon 3D printed footba…ll boot studs
- Extrusion by Philippe Malouinfor Carwan …Gallery at Ventura Lambrate
- The T-shirt Issue by Mashallah Design & …Linda Kostowski
- Dezeen Watch Store summer sale: £23 off… Kaj by Karim Rashid for Alessi
- Zaha Hadid and Hopkins among architects …to design London water fountains
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories