Eizo Okada, editor of influential Tokyo-based design blog dezain.net, is curating an exhibition during Tokyo Design Week called Deroll. Okada has invited five Japanese architects to create a box, each of which has been "conceived, designed and constructed personally by each designer".
The exhibition takes place at ars gallery in Omotesando (see map) from 31 October to 4 November. Top image: Drawer by Makoto Yamaguchi. Above: Little Gardens by Junya Ishigami. Below: Specimen of Treasure by Yuko Nagayama
Details and more images follow:
Press Release 14 October 2007
DEROLL Commissions Series 1: box
ars gallery / 31 October - 4 November 2007
Five architects, whose reputations extend to the fields of art and design, have been given a brief to each create a unique piece of work to the theme"box". The five works exhibited have been conceived, designed and constructed personally by each designer.
insect cage by Ryuji Nakamura
A insect cage made by Laser Lithography. Diameter of frame is 0.3mm.
Above: RGB delay camera by Hideyuki Nakayama
A camcorder with video-delay system. red-green-blue images, each can be run in real time or delayed for from a second to 2 days.
Above: specimen of treasure by Yuko Nagayama
10 treasures (little girl beloved) boxed in transparent cube. Treasures have nothing in it and you can put small object in it.
Above: little gardens by Junya Ishigami
370 small containers made of silver, for making little gardens on the table. Each pieces has different shape.
Above and below: DRAWER, 2007 by Makoto Yamaguchi
Stacked wood blocks with hidden drawers.
- Furniture that looks like line drawing…s by Jinil Park
- "In the East End there are always mate…rials to be found" - Nina Tolstrup
- New Pinterest board: glass furniture
- Playtype foundry and concept store by …e-Types
- Vondel Verses by Anouk Vogel and Johan… Selbing
- Forrest Myers at Hedge Gallery
- Zai CORE Axe by Kacper Hamilton
- Melvin the Mini Machine by HEYHEYHEY
- Okum redesigns the common extension ca…ble
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories