American practice Olson Kundig Architects are renovating a historic dock building in the port city of Tacoma, reinforcing the existing structure and suspending boats from a newly added roof.
The Foss Waterway Seaport will house a range of educational and leisure facilities focused on Tacoma's maritime heritage and also offer water-based activities.
Here's some more from the architects:
The mission of the Foss Waterway Seaport is to celebrate Tacoma’s rich maritime heritage — past, present, and future.
The renovation of the historic Balfour Dock Building will begin with a new roof and seismic reinforcement.
The goal of “new Seaport” is to emerge as Puget Sound’s premier maritime education and recreation center where families, students and entire communities come to discover, explore, work and play with on–the–water activities.
by CCS Architecture
|Museo del Agua
by MID Estudio
- The New Dance and Music Centre in The Ha…gue by Zaha Hadid Architects
- Jean Nouvel in Abu Dhabi
- Smiljan Radić's Serpentine Gallery Pavi…lion photographed by Jim Stephenson
- Exeter College by Alison Brooks Architec…ts
- Dezeen's top architecture quotes of 2014
- The Architectural Ride at Battersea Powe…r Station by Atelier Zündel Cristea
- Vertical Glass House by Atelier FCJZ has… glass floors instead of windows
- Tiny Travelling Theatre by Aberrant Arch…itecture
- "I'd love to design a brothel or a gas s…tation" says Brazilian architect Isay Weinfeld
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories