American practice Olson Kundig Architects are renovating a historic dock building in the port city of Tacoma, reinforcing the existing structure and suspending boats from a newly added roof.
The Foss Waterway Seaport will house a range of educational and leisure facilities focused on Tacoma's maritime heritage and also offer water-based activities.
Here's some more from the architects:
The mission of the Foss Waterway Seaport is to celebrate Tacoma’s rich maritime heritage — past, present, and future.
The renovation of the historic Balfour Dock Building will begin with a new roof and seismic reinforcement.
The goal of “new Seaport” is to emerge as Puget Sound’s premier maritime education and recreation center where families, students and entire communities come to discover, explore, work and play with on–the–water activities.
by CCS Architecture
|Museo del Agua
by MID Estudio
- De Rotterdam represents "a new ambition …in architecture" says Rem Koolhaas
- Glowing glass blocks surround the Wilhel…m-Leuschner-Platz metro station by Max Dudler
- Katsutoshi Sasaki's House in Hanekita co…ntains a grid of half-height walls
- Tuscany Barn House by Julian King Archit…ect
- CIRBUATS by Nick Ervinck
- Wilkinson Eyre's cooled conservatories a…t Gardens by the Bay are "about having fun"
- Mosquée d’Algérie by KSP Jürgen Eng…el Architekten
- Mechatronik by Caramel Architekten
- BLALYS by Suga Architects Office
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories