American practice Olson Kundig Architects are renovating a historic dock building in the port city of Tacoma, reinforcing the existing structure and suspending boats from a newly added roof.
The Foss Waterway Seaport will house a range of educational and leisure facilities focused on Tacoma's maritime heritage and also offer water-based activities.
Here's some more from the architects:
The mission of the Foss Waterway Seaport is to celebrate Tacoma’s rich maritime heritage — past, present, and future.
The renovation of the historic Balfour Dock Building will begin with a new roof and seismic reinforcement.
The goal of “new Seaport” is to emerge as Puget Sound’s premier maritime education and recreation center where families, students and entire communities come to discover, explore, work and play with on–the–water activities.
by CCS Architecture
|Museo del Agua
by MID Estudio
- Ørestad College, Copenhagen, by 3XN arc…hitects
- Brooks Avenue House by Bricault Design
- Thomas Heatherwick beach cafe takes shap…e
- Lichtstroeme by Loop.pH
- iGuzzini Illuminazione España SA Headqu…arters by MiAS Architects
- Costa Rica residence by Obra Architects …boasts indoor and outdoor rooms
- Wohnhaus Ginkgo by on3 architekten
- "Some of the best minds of the world are… based in Britain," says Thomas Heatherwick
- Maggie’s Nottingham by CZWG and Paul S…mith photographed by Michael Whelan
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories