American practice Olson Kundig Architects are renovating a historic dock building in the port city of Tacoma, reinforcing the existing structure and suspending boats from a newly added roof.
The Foss Waterway Seaport will house a range of educational and leisure facilities focused on Tacoma's maritime heritage and also offer water-based activities.
Here's some more from the architects:
The mission of the Foss Waterway Seaport is to celebrate Tacoma’s rich maritime heritage — past, present, and future.
The renovation of the historic Balfour Dock Building will begin with a new roof and seismic reinforcement.
The goal of “new Seaport” is to emerge as Puget Sound’s premier maritime education and recreation center where families, students and entire communities come to discover, explore, work and play with on–the–water activities.
by CCS Architecture
|Museo del Agua
by MID Estudio
- House NA by Sou Fujimoto Architects
- House for elderly people by Aires Mateus… Arquitectos
- Protruding glass boxes offer ocean views… from Russet Residence by Splyce Design
- Studio Galantini rebuilds wooden frame o…f small Italian chapel
- Voussoir Cloud by IwamotoScott
- Floating structure by White Arkitekter b…rings harbour swimming to a Danish island
- Movie shows concrete bunker cut in half …by RAAAF and Atelier de Lyon
- Kuokkala Church by Lassila Hirvilammi an…d Luonti
- Helix Hotel by Leeser Architecture
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories