American practice Olson Kundig Architects are renovating a historic dock building in the port city of Tacoma, reinforcing the existing structure and suspending boats from a newly added roof.
The Foss Waterway Seaport will house a range of educational and leisure facilities focused on Tacoma's maritime heritage and also offer water-based activities.
Here's some more from the architects:
The mission of the Foss Waterway Seaport is to celebrate Tacoma’s rich maritime heritage — past, present, and future.
The renovation of the historic Balfour Dock Building will begin with a new roof and seismic reinforcement.
The goal of “new Seaport” is to emerge as Puget Sound’s premier maritime education and recreation center where families, students and entire communities come to discover, explore, work and play with on–the–water activities.
by CCS Architecture
|Museo del Agua
by MID Estudio
- Special feature: Marseille Capital of …Culture 2013
- Schmidt Hammer Lassen's Malmö Live is… a cultural complex designed as "a small city"
- Home 08 by i29
- "Why should the poor live in slums if …there are empty offices in the city?" - Justin McGuirk
- Ordos Hilton Hotel by VMX Architects
- Shrine of the Virgin of La Antigua by …Otxotorena Arquitectos
- Flying Houses by Laurent Chéhère
- Hammer Architects completes a cabin re…treat in the Cape Cod woodland
- Alboraya-Palmaret metro station by Rst…udio
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories