American practice Olson Kundig Architects are renovating a historic dock building in the port city of Tacoma, reinforcing the existing structure and suspending boats from a newly added roof.
The Foss Waterway Seaport will house a range of educational and leisure facilities focused on Tacoma's maritime heritage and also offer water-based activities.
Here's some more from the architects:
The mission of the Foss Waterway Seaport is to celebrate Tacoma’s rich maritime heritage — past, present, and future.
The renovation of the historic Balfour Dock Building will begin with a new roof and seismic reinforcement.
The goal of “new Seaport” is to emerge as Puget Sound’s premier maritime education and recreation center where families, students and entire communities come to discover, explore, work and play with on–the–water activities.
by CCS Architecture
|Museo del Agua
by MID Estudio
- House No.7 cottage and extensions on the… Isle of Tiree by Denizen Works
- Accordia wins Stirling Prize
- Norwegian mountain hut is entered throug…h a curving wooden orifice
- UAE Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010 by Fo…ster + Partners
- Six inverted arches outline the roof of …Shonan Christ Church by Takeshi Hosaka
- Centipede Cinema by Colin Fournier, Mary…sia Lewandowska and NEON
- Franz Kafka Society Center by Steven Hol…l and Marcela Steinbachová
- Naoto Fukasawa at IMM Cologne
- Voussoir Cloud by IwamotoScott
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories