Australian architects Edwards Moore have completed this glowing art studio in a car park.
Located in a residential car park outside a Melbourne apartment, the studio accommodates storage, a shower room, a toilet and kitchen facilities.
The front of the studio is clad in translucent fibreglass, causing the lights inside to illuminate the surrounding car park.
Small circular windows perforating the white render-covered rear of the structure create peepholes.
We also recently published proposals for another small artist studio, this time in Finland - see this project here.
Photography is by Peter Bennetts.
Here's a short description of the project from Ben Edwards:
Artist car park studio
An artist’s studio adjacent to an existing first floor art deco apartment situated in Elwood, Melbourne.
The site occupies a former parking space & ownership was restricted to a maximum above ground height of 3m.
The studio has been designed to accommodate a shower/wet area, canoe storage, kitchenette & WC.
The external skin is a combination of a white render finish and semi-translucent fibre glass sheeting to allow light to the interior whilst also relating to the adjoining building.
Internally the timber structure is expressed and partly lined with plywood.
Operable porthole windows (made from inspection hatches) provide ventilation and additional natural light.
- Barker Residence by Davidclovers
- Community Centre Woesten by Atelier Tom …Vanhee has a contrasting gabled extension
- Movie by Pedro Kok: Galeria Adriana Vare…jão by Rodrigo Cerviño Lopez
- Beach House Mornington by Clare Cousins
- CUT Architectures adds golden walls to 1…960s community centre
- An Atmosphere Excavated by John Becker
- Zaha Hadid at IMM Cologne
- Silence by Tadao Ando and Blair Associat…es
- House in Fujizakura by Case Design Studi…o
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories