Australian architects Edwards Moore have completed this glowing art studio in a car park.
Located in a residential car park outside a Melbourne apartment, the studio accommodates storage, a shower room, a toilet and kitchen facilities.
The front of the studio is clad in translucent fibreglass, causing the lights inside to illuminate the surrounding car park.
Small circular windows perforating the white render-covered rear of the structure create peepholes.
We also recently published proposals for another small artist studio, this time in Finland - see this project here.
Photography is by Peter Bennetts.
Here's a short description of the project from Ben Edwards:
Artist car park studio
An artist’s studio adjacent to an existing first floor art deco apartment situated in Elwood, Melbourne.
The site occupies a former parking space & ownership was restricted to a maximum above ground height of 3m.
The studio has been designed to accommodate a shower/wet area, canoe storage, kitchenette & WC.
The external skin is a combination of a white render finish and semi-translucent fibre glass sheeting to allow light to the interior whilst also relating to the adjoining building.
Internally the timber structure is expressed and partly lined with plywood.
Operable porthole windows (made from inspection hatches) provide ventilation and additional natural light.
- Ta đi Ôtô mini-skyscraper on a tricyc…le by Bureau A
- Alpine Ski Apartments by OFIS Arhitekti
- Museo ABC by Aranguren + Gallegos
- Psycho Buildings at The Hayward
- Meme Meadows Experimental House by Kengo… Kuma and Associates
- Jean Nouvel's Sydney towers boast vertic…al gardens and a huge sunlight reflector
- Maggie’s Nottingham by CZWG and Paul S…mith photographed by Michael Whelan
- Ring Dome by Minsuk Cho/Mass Studies
- House in Nishimikuni by Arbol Design
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories