Located in the coastal village of Bergen, the restaurant repeats the most successful features from the earlier Rotterdam restaurant, including its mosaic-patterned pizza oven.
The wooden seating booths line one wall of the Bergen dining room, featuring suspended tabletops and chandeliers.
Wood for the oven is stored on a wall of criss-crossing shelves, where electrical socket clusters are mounted on large red squares.
Photography is by Yannic Alidarso.
Here's some more explanation from Frank Tjepkema:
After the success of Fabbrica Rotterdam (completed in 2005) we were asked to design a second Fabbrica in the famous costal artist village of Bergen in The Netherlands.
We revisited several of the original elements, for example the train cabins with a new look and feel, we like the concept for it's intimacy and romanticism for there is nothing more relaxing and engaging then enjoying a nice dinner on a train while looking at nice landscapes.
This installation is lifted from the ground and suggests travel and movement.
The large Pizza Oven covered with Bisazza tiles is an absolute eye-catcher and the very industrial wood containers hold all the wood to fuel the oven and all the electricity to fuel the lights!
As for the general looks we decided to take a more earthly and less gloss and shine approach as compared to Fabbrica Rotterdam.
In Bergen we show materials instead of using painted surfaces.
We did this to be more in touch with the economic context of the moment.
It's not time for Bling Bling anymore, people want more authenticity and less entertainment.
- Decode: Digital Design Sensations at the… V&A
- Sarah Van Peteghem showcases local desig…ners inside Berlin apartment
- Weinhandlung Kreis by Furch Gestaltung +… Production
- Second Nature by Tokujin Yoshioka
- Universal Design Studio rides the pop-up… wave with Fruit of the Loom
- Movie: Skyhouse by David Hotson and Ghis…laine Viñas
- Kloke shop interior features copper clot…hes rails and wooden display units by Sibling
- "Workspaces are white, passages are blac…k" at Post-'s self-designed architecture studio
- Venus chair by Tokujin Yoshioka
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories