In this movie filmed by Dezeen, Bandar Antabi of designer electronics brand Jawbone explains how the company took a holistic approach to designing their Big Jambox wireless speaker.
"[When] we look at design it's not only the external facade of the product, but also the internals and software, and how basically users interact with the product," says Antabi.
San Francisco start-up company Jawbone first launched the Jambox in 2010, which became the top selling wireless speaker in the USA and UK, so they launched the Big Jambox as a larger but still portable version.
It streams audio from smart devices wirelessly via bluetooth and is portable enough to be carried in one hand.
Designer Yves Behar has been working with Jawbone for almost ten years as their chief creative officer and is involved in all design decisions for products, including the Big Jambox.
A continuous, perforated stainless-steel sheet wraps around the front, top and back of the speaker, which Antabi describes as "a manufacturing feat".
Yves Behar and Jawbone collaborated with Dezeen to create an installation of over 1600 Jambox speakers that played original tracks submitted by Dezeen readers in Milan 2011 - find out more about the project here. Read more in our previous stories about the Jambox here and the Big Jambox here.
- The Living Points Structure jewellery co…vers limbs in porcupine-like spines
- Copy and Authorship by Lucas Verweij
- Cloche Lamp by Lars Beller Fjetland
- "There's a return to the commerce of the… fair"
- Balloon by Crous & Calogero for Estiluz
- Saucer by Eric Degenhardt for Schönbuch
- Elvie vaginal activity monitor helps str…engthen pelvic floor muscles
- New Pinterest board: Nendo
- Typefaces by Wim Crouwel for The Foundry
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories