News: a fat-wheeled electric concept vehicle that you ride standing up like a child's scooter has achieved its funding target on Kickstarter, allowing final development to go ahead (+ slideshow).
The Scrooser, developed by a German company of the same name, beat its $120,000 target on the crowd-funding website. The firm will now finalise the design of its "impulse drive" motor, which sits within the hub of the rear wheel and delivers a burst of power each time the rider uses their foot to propel the vehicle forward.
Scrooser founder Jens Thieme described the product as "a completely new vehicle category." He added: "“We are very happy with the success of Scrooser on Kickstarter. With the fresh capital, we can now take final developments of our innovative Impulse Drive and we get a lot closer to our goal. "
The motor automatically kicks in to boost the rider's propulsion at speeds of over 2 miles per hour, but disengages when the rider uses the brake. The vehicle has a top speed of 15 miles per hour.
"A perfect pace for maneuvering through the city among pedestrian filled sidewalks is around 6 mph" the company's website explains, "but feel free to race cyclists on bike paths at a maximum speed of up to 15 mph."
With wide wheels and a low centre of gravity, the Scrooser remains upright when the rider dismounts. The 1000W motor provides direct power to the rear wheel, without the need for gears or chains.
A rechargeable lithium-ion battery located beneath the footboard can provide power for up to 25 days, and takes around 3 hours to recharge via a standard power outlet.
Measuring 1.75 metres and weighing 28kg, the scooter features a frame made of aluminium tube formed by a process called “freeform 3D bending". The Scrooser also features a low seat, integrated lock and LED lights for riding at night.
- MC Escher illustrations inform stands fo…r glass lamps by Note Design Studio
- Myth and Material by Doshi Levien
- Studio Swine uses aluminium foam to crea…te Metallic Geology cabinets
- Patricia Urquiola refreshes Maia outdoor… furniture with teak and hand-braided rope
- Safety Vase by Hannah Niskanen-Benady
- Classic songs become buildings in Federi…co Babina's Archimusic illustrations
- "Bauhaus modernism" inspires Afteroom's …furniture and home accessories for Menu
- Reborn by Being Object
- Clarissa Hood armchair and chair by Patr…icia Urquiola for Moroso
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories