We take a tour through the staircases, gyms and study areas of Steven Holl's Campbell Sports Centre at Columbia University in the second of two movies by architectural filmmakers Spirit of Space.
Steven Holl Architects designed the building as a combined athletics and study facility for students. The movie shows activity both inside and outside, from football games on the sports pitches to conversations in the stairwells.
The film begins with the building's busy setting on the corner of West 218th Street and Broadway, where the five-storey structure climbs up a sloping site and forms a new entrance to several existing sports tracks.
It also traces routes through the building, including on the staircases and balconies that zigzag across the facade.
Steven Holl describes the design concept for the sports centre as being based on a diagram for a football strategy in the first of the two movies.
Spirit of Space has previously filmed movies about other Steven Holl-designed buildings, including an underground gallery in South Korea and the mixed-use Sliced Porosity Block in China. See more movies by Spirit of Space on Dezeen »
Architectural photography is by Iwan Baan.
- ProtoHouse by Softkill Design
- Zaragoza Bridge Pavilion by Zaha Hadid 2
- SAMF reinterprets traditional Portuguese… farmhouses with Casa dos Caseiros
- Slideshow feature: Fogo Island Artists' …Studios by Saunders Architecture
- Barend Koolhaas completes a blackened ti…mber house with a triangular floor plan
- Blackened-timber boathouse completed by …Weiss Architecture on a Canadian island
- DRMM's Comet Street art studio draws in …daylight through a sky-facing window
- Movie by Cristobal Palma: Flor del Campo… by Giancarlo Mazzanti and Felipe Mesa
- Krampon house by Shogo Aratani climbs ov…er a rocky site
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories