We take a tour through the staircases, gyms and study areas of Steven Holl's Campbell Sports Centre at Columbia University in the second of two movies by architectural filmmakers Spirit of Space.
Steven Holl Architects designed the building as a combined athletics and study facility for students. The movie shows activity both inside and outside, from football games on the sports pitches to conversations in the stairwells.
The film begins with the building's busy setting on the corner of West 218th Street and Broadway, where the five-storey structure climbs up a sloping site and forms a new entrance to several existing sports tracks.
It also traces routes through the building, including on the staircases and balconies that zigzag across the facade.
Steven Holl describes the design concept for the sports centre as being based on a diagram for a football strategy in the first of the two movies.
Spirit of Space has previously filmed movies about other Steven Holl-designed buildings, including an underground gallery in South Korea and the mixed-use Sliced Porosity Block in China. See more movies by Spirit of Space on Dezeen »
Architectural photography is by Iwan Baan.
- Création de 4 chambres d'hôtes by Loï…c Picquet
- Burnham Pavilion by Zaha Hadid Architect…s
- Cultural Center of European Space Techno…logies by OFIS, Bevk Perovic, Dekleva Gregoric and Sadar Vuga
- Baltyk Tower by MVRDV
- "Copying is both fundamental and dangero…us to architecture" - Sam Jacob of FAT
- Eight Inscribed Houses and Three Courtya…rds by Romera y Ruiz Arquitectos
- Asakusa Culture Tourist Information Cent…er by Kengo Kuma and Associates
- Charred-timber extension by A1 Architect…s transforms an old cottage into a home and studio
- East London House by Mikhail Riches
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories