The wooden box of House Under the Oaks by Austrian studio Juri Troy is supported by six columns as it projects out from a hilltop, in the countryside west of Vienna.
Photovoltaic panels on the roof and a ground-source heat pump provide the wooden building with an ecological source of energy, while natural insulation keeps in the warmth.
"The whole structure was done in prefabricated timber with all ecological wood with wool insulation of up to 60 centimetres," said the architects. "It is a new prototype for affordable living on minimal energy in Austria."
The single-floor dwelling is entered through an L-shaped veranda to the back, which is fenced in by wooden slats.
The veranda provides access to the open-plan kitchen and dining area via a row of full-height sliding glass windows, as well as a separate door leading to a wide corridor with built-in storage space.
A bathroom is located at the centre of the house, behind which a bedroom is positioned with access to the veranda.
The entire interior is finished in local wood coated in a white pigmented oil.
Ribbon windows encompass the front room, offering views out to the surrounding countryside.
Photography is by the architects.
Here is some more information from the architects:
House under the oaks
The house under the oaks is a low budget passive house concept developed for an Austrian family.
With a minimum footprint and a wide outstretching wooden box on six columns it offers a living area of about 100 square metres.
The whole structure was done in prefabricated timber with all ecological wood with wool insulation of up to 60 cm.
The interior is done all in local wood as well with a simple white pigmented oil cover.
A heat pump with ground collector, a controlled ventilation system with heat exchange and photovoltaic panels on the roof offer a perfect energy concept with a minimum of required external energy – which is provided by eco electricity.
Like this it is a new prototype for affordable living on minimal energy standard in Austria.
- Wave is a surfer's house with a protrudi…ng windowless facade and a secret courtyard
- Flockr by SO-IL
- Marina Abramović Institute by OMA
- FattyShell (v.01) by Kyle Sturgeon, Chri…s Holzwart and Kelly Raczkowski
- Family house extension by Franz Architek…ten clad with diagonal strips of larch
- Humlegården apartment by Tham & Videgå…rd Hansson Arkitekter
- Small House with Big Spiral Staircase by… Avehideshi Architects
- Family house by Wienberg Architects and …Friis & Moltke contains cosy oak-lined rooms
- Gian Salis' House on a Slope steps down …a hillside in the Rhine Valley
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories