Buildings by SANAA, Herzog & de Meuron, MAD and more appear to pulsate, spin, dance and grow in this series of animated gifs by French architect Axel de Stampa.
In the Architecture Animée series, Herzog & de Meuron's VitraHaus triples in height, while one of MAD's curvaceous Absolute Towers begins to twist, and the new Emerson College by Morphosis is given a throbbing heart.
"Architecture Animée looks into the concept of motion in architecture," said De Stampa. "By using gif format, buildings come alive and reveal their true natures."
Other buildings to feature in the series include SANAA's Zollverein School in Germany and New Museum in New York, as well as the America's Cup Building in Spain by David Chipperfield and Theatre Agora in the Netherlands by UNStudio.
For each image, the architect aims to use animation to reveal something new or unnoticed about a familiar building.
"Motion in architecture is mainly associated to the fourth dimension: time," explained De Stampa. "Time, through the body, experiences the building."
"In Architecture Animée, I have developed a different approach. While the visitor doesn't move, the building offers different perceptions, comes alive and reveals additional evidence," he said.
De Stampa created his first gifs as part of 1week1project – an initiative with fellow Ecole d'Architecture de Paris-Belleville graduate Sylvain Macaux to produce 52 spontaneous architecture projects over the space of a year.
"I wanted to go further," said De Stampa. "Then a couple of months ago I saw images of the Emerson College by Morphosis. The contrast between the big frame and the smooth elements in the centre was great. I wanted to see it moving, so it all began there," he said.
- Herzog & de Meuron completes Arena do Mo…rro gymnasium in Brazil
- Designed in Hackney: Mapledene Roadby Pl…atform 5 Architects
- Schaustelle by J. Mayer H.
- New Tamayo Museum by Rojkind Arquitectos… and BIG
- Steel cladding frames an offset window a…t Montreal house extension by Naturehumaine
- Signature Center by Frank Gehry
- Architects should be wary of "thinking t…hat they know how to do everything" - Studio Weave
- Peirao XXI in Vigo by Jean Nouvel
- Three-pronged Villa Moerkensheide frames… a trio of garden terraces
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories