Buildings by SANAA, Herzog & de Meuron, MAD and more appear to pulsate, spin, dance and grow in this series of animated gifs by French architect Axel de Stampa.
In the Architecture Animée series, Herzog & de Meuron's VitraHaus triples in height, while one of MAD's curvaceous Absolute Towers begins to twist, and the new Emerson College by Morphosis is given a throbbing heart.
"Architecture Animée looks into the concept of motion in architecture," said De Stampa. "By using gif format, buildings come alive and reveal their true natures."
Other buildings to feature in the series include SANAA's Zollverein School in Germany and New Museum in New York, as well as the America's Cup Building in Spain by David Chipperfield and Theatre Agora in the Netherlands by UNStudio.
For each image, the architect aims to use animation to reveal something new or unnoticed about a familiar building.
"Motion in architecture is mainly associated to the fourth dimension: time," explained De Stampa. "Time, through the body, experiences the building."
"In Architecture Animée, I have developed a different approach. While the visitor doesn't move, the building offers different perceptions, comes alive and reveals additional evidence," he said.
De Stampa created his first gifs as part of 1week1project – an initiative with fellow Ecole d'Architecture de Paris-Belleville graduate Sylvain Macaux to produce 52 spontaneous architecture projects over the space of a year.
"I wanted to go further," said De Stampa. "Then a couple of months ago I saw images of the Emerson College by Morphosis. The contrast between the big frame and the smooth elements in the centre was great. I wanted to see it moving, so it all began there," he said.
- Barrakka Lift by Architecture Project
- Harvest Pavilion by Vector Architects
- Anna and Eugeni Bach extend gabled stone… house with skeletal framework
- Ruta del Peregrino: Sanctuary by Ai Weiw…ei
- House in Yamasaki by Tato Architects
- "Why should the poor live in slums if th…ere are empty offices in the city?" - Justin McGuirk
- Housing Hatert by 24H architecture
- Taíde House was built over the granite …walls of a family's original residence
- Danish Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010 ph…otographed by Roland Halbe
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories