London Design Festival 2014: crystal brand Swarovski and organisers of the London Design Festival have cancelled an installation of flying drones planned for this year's event over fears for "safety of members of the public".
The Drone Aviary project's sponsor Swarovski released a statement today saying that the project has been axed over concerns for "safety of members of the public in close proximity to the drones".
Drone Aviary was conceived by design studio Superflux as a chance for the public to interact with the flying machines, which are increasingly being used for tasks ranging from delivering books to assisting military operations.
"This would have been the first time that drone technology has interacted with the public in a museum setting," said Swarovski's statement.
"Swarovski continues to support cutting-edge projects as part of its ongoing programme to promote design and innovation and remains a committed partner of the London Design Festival."
The project was announced as one of a series of events to take place at the Museum during the annual design festival, along with a rotating sculpture by Barber and Osgerby and a garden installation by Zaha Hadid.
Last year, the museum hosted a giant chandelier of colourful glass spheres in the main hall and 5,000 spinning paper windmills in a doorway. It also exhibited the first 3D-printed gun, which was acquired just before the event. See our coverage of London Design Festival 2013 »
This year's London Design Festival will take place from 13 to 21 September.
- Torsten Sherwood launches Shaker-influ…enced furniture collection
- Red and blue graphics represent an emo…tional journey in Um de Nós music video
- Drapée chair by Constance Guisset des…igned to look like draped fabric
- Knauf and Brown encourages mindful eng…agement with everyday objects
- Dezeen Platform: Fraser Ross
- h2o bench by h2o Architectes
- Cat Mckee at New Designers
- Body Jewellery by Stephanie Bila
- Drawers slide along the surface of Mar…co Guazzini's Flamingo desk
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories