Designed in Hackney: it's day two of our Designed in Hackney showcase and the award-winning Plumen 001 designer light bulb by Samuel Wilkinson for Hulger is our featured project from the borough today.
We first showed Hulger's prototypes of the low-energy CFL bulb back in 2007 and the product was launched in September 2010. It went on to win Design of the Year the following summer, when we recorded an interview with the designers that you can watch on Dezeen Screen. This project also features in our Dezeen Book of Ideas and you can read more about it here.
Wilkinson founded his own industrial design studio in 2007 and his other projects include a table with legs that are sharpened like pencils, a miniature garden that works like a living Tamagotchi and a large metal tree in the Swiss city of Lausanne.
He has a studio on Hackney Road in the south of the borough, close to the city farm and flower market, and Hulger's office is just outside Hackney in the neighbouring London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
Designed in Hackney map:
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- "We don't know how to fix things" - Dani…el Charny at Dezeen Live
- Key designs by Peter Saville
- Clouds and Birds by Benedetta Mori Ubald…ini for Magis
- Tongue chair by Arne Jacobsen relaunched… by Howe
- Marc Newson at Gagosian Gallery in Londo…n
- Torafu Architects suspend bubbly balloon…s of light for Tokyo installation
- Fresh by Victor Vetterlein
- Faceture by Phil Cuttance for the Stepne…y Green Design Collection
- Note Design Studio designs colourful ash… tables for Fogia
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories