News: Boston's public transport authority has launched a competition to redesign the city's subway map.
From now until the end of April, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) is accepting submissions to transform the map's cramped layout into a more user-friendly design.
The competition has already proved controversial due to the terms and conditions of entry stating that the transit authority owns the entire copyright of all submissions – a detail criticised as "insulting" by Australian graphic designer Cameron Booth.
"If the MBTA likes my ideas for their map — and they've surely seen enough of my body of work to know that it's good — then they can bloody well pay me for it," wrote Booth in a blog post, as reported by online magazine The Atlantic Cities.
Booth's extensive portfolio of map designs includes a diagram of the American interstate road system in the style of the London Tube map.
Above: the current "spider map"
Entries to the competition will be judged on their creativity, aesthetic quality, clarity and usefulness, and the winning designs will be announced in mid-May as part of National Transportation Week.
We've featured lots of map designs on Dezeen, including dinner plates that collectively form a map of France's Michelin-starred restaurants and a London Tube map redesigned to be geographically accurate – see all maps.
Projects in Boston we've published include Renzo Piano's wing for the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and a branch of skin and haircare brand Aesop that uses wooden cornices as shelving.
- Topshop Showspace SS14 by Pernilla Ohrst…edt Studio
- Underconstruction by Ornella Stocco
- 3D scanning will be used to create "uniq…ue fitted clothing"
- Dezeen's pick of Milan 2013: Salone
- Jaime Hayón's debut plastic product is …a skeletal chair for Magis
- Luzinterruptus creates "weird and sinist…er" lighting installation using floating latex gloves
- Aesh and Tweed collection by Georg Oehle…r fuses British and Austrian design
- A Secret Friend by Tithi Kutchamuch
- NAN18 by Jörg Boner and Christian Deube…r for Nanoo
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories