Tokujin Yoshioka's Twinkle table for Kartell refracts light in a similar way to crystal glass. "The table explores a new possibility of plastic," said Yoshioka. "Twinkle is a table that shines like a crystal by reflection of light."
The polycarbonate breakfast table is made using injection moulding, a manufacturing process that allows for a table size that would not be possible to create from glass.
Changes in the thickness of the material created by the shape of the mould produces a prism effect.
With a square base, the table features shallow grooves that run along the single pedestal leg and spread out from the centre beneath the larger square table top.
The table was exhibited at the Salone Internazionale del Mobile 2014, which concluded on Sunday.
- Nike GS football boot by Nike
- Rrround by Arttu Kuisma and Janne Melajo…ki
- W103s by Inga Sempé for Wästberg
- The Foetus Project by Jorge Lopes Dos Sa…ntos
- ThisWay by Torkel Dohmers
- The Zeppelin aims to fuse the best bits …of car and bicycle design
- Marine Light by Nir Meiri
- International Biennial of Graphic Design… in Brno
- "I'm interested in what the future might… look like" - Asif Khan at Dezeen Live
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories