Tokujin Yoshioka's Twinkle table for Kartell refracts light in a similar way to crystal glass. "The table explores a new possibility of plastic," said Yoshioka. "Twinkle is a table that shines like a crystal by reflection of light."
The polycarbonate breakfast table is made using injection moulding, a manufacturing process that allows for a table size that would not be possible to create from glass.
Changes in the thickness of the material created by the shape of the mould produces a prism effect.
With a square base, the table features shallow grooves that run along the single pedestal leg and spread out from the centre beneath the larger square table top.
The table was exhibited at the Salone Internazionale del Mobile 2014, which concluded on Sunday.
- aTable by Beatus Kopp
- Bag Stools by Gitta Gschwendtner
- Dezeen Watch Store summer sale: 20% off …Orbit by Ziiiro
- Silent Machine by Eunjae Lee
- New watches by Denis Guidone
- No.1 by Form Us With Love for TID Watche…s
- Rocky collection by PearsonLloyd
- Rise by Hussein Chalayan
- Glasgow-made watches by Paulin launch at… Dezeen Watch Store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories