This week, UK creatives reacted to the EU referendum
EU referendum UK Brexit architecture design Dezeen

This week, UK creatives reacted to the EU referendum

This week on Dezeen: architects and designers were left reeling this week following the UK's dramatic decision to sever ties with the European Union in Thursday's referendum.

European Union referendum
UK architects and designers react to "nightmare" result of EU referendum

The referendum result was close but decisive, with 52 per cent in favour of leaving, and 48 per cent backing the remain campaign. High-profile architects and designers including Richard Rogers, Amanda Levete, Ilse Crawford, Philippe Malouin and Benjamin Hubert expressed their disappointment at the outcome.

An overwhelming majority of creatives had backed the Remain campaign in the buildup to the vote, warning that the UK's economy and London's design status was at risk. Dezeen columnist and architect Sam Jacob described a vote for leave as a vote for a theme park instead of a country.

andrea angeli_brexit_eu-referendum-cartoon_dezeen_sqa
Illustrators and creatives react to UK's Brexit vote

Illustrators were quick to post their reactions to the referendum on Instagram and Twitter. One image included a bleeding Union Jack flag, while another depicted a pair of scissors cutting the threads that tied the UK to the rest of Europe.

iraq postage stamp zaha hadid_dezeen_sq
Zaha Hadid features on new Iraqi postage stamp

In other news this week, the Iraqi postal service paid tribute to the late Zaha Hadid by featuring her on a new stamp and Dutch firm MVRDV revealed its designs for a library in China featuring an eye-shaped atrium.

Eero Saarinen
Documents emerge revealing Eero Saarinen designed weapons for the CIA

Documents emerged revealing that architect and designer Eero Saarinen was involved in the development of weapons for the US government, while a Shakespearian theatre in France was vandalised in an act described by its architect as a "politically motivated desecration" by members of the far right.

Visualisation of the New York skyline in 2020
New York's 2020 skyline shown in new visualisations

New York's future skyline was depicted in a series of new visualisations and students at the Southern California Institute of Architecture completed a house designed to make residents feel safe in a crime-ridden part of Los Angeles.

Molteni&C opens first major Italian design showroom in Tehran
Molteni opens first major Italian design showroom in Tehran

Italian luxury brand Molteni opened a flagship showroom in Tehran to meet the increased demand for high-quality design in Iran, and we reported on Mexico's "booming growth market for architecture and design".

Slide at ArcelorMittal Orbit. Photo by Instagram user pikio83
Slide woven through Anish Kapoor's ArcelorMittal Orbit to open in east London

A giant slide by Belgian artist Carsten Höller that spirals through the frame of the Anish Kapoor-designed ArcelorMittal Orbit opened to the public in London, just days after Herzog & de Meuron's Tate Modern extension welcomed its first visitors.

Drawing Studio by CRAB studio Cook Robotham Architectural Bureau Ltd. Photograph by Richard Bryant
RIBA names best British architecture projects of 2016

The Royal Institute of British Architects revealed the 46 winners in its national awards showcasing the best new architecture projects in Britain and named the 20 houses vying for this year's prestigious House of the Year prize.

pierre-lassonde-pavilion-oma-quebec-canada-musee-national-des-beaux-arts-du-quebec-park-city-link-architecture_dezeen_1568_6
OMA's Pierre Lassonde Pavilion doubles the size of Quebec art museum

OMA completed its extension to the Musée National des Beaux-Arts du Quebec, and plans to overhaul an early 20th-century pier in Montreal were released.

The Floating Piers project by Christo features bright orange pathways across Italy's Lake Iseo
Christo's Floating Piers stretch out across an Italian lake

Popular stories this week on Dezeen included Christo's saffron-coloured floating pathways, an office block in Tehran featuring louvred wooden facades and a project that transformed people's useless sketches of bicycles into a series of absurd-looking digital renderings.

Velocipedia by Gianluca Gimini realises flawed bicycle sketches with renders
Velocipedia project brings hopeless bicycle drawings to life with digital renders

Main image posted by Instagram user Jess Thorpe.

More architecture | More interiors | More design | More news