It might be a surprise to find H Arquitectes in the top 100, but the Spanish office has had a couple of big hits in recent months.
The studio – which tends to number all of its projects – won the most attention for slotting the brick House 1014 between two crumbling properties in Catalonia. The building was published on Dezeen at the start of 2015 and went on to make our top 10 houses of the year. It was also one of the standout projects in the Golden Lion-winning Spanish Pavilion at the Venice Architecture Biennale.
H Arquitectes followed this up with Casa 1217 – a house featuring rooms that can be both indoors or outdoors. It also upgraded a 1950s school building by installing a new facade.
1. H Arquitectes inserts courtyard home between two existing Spanish houses
2. Casa 1217 by H Arquitectes features rooms that can be indoors or outdoors
3. Student Housing in St. Cugat by H Arquitectes and dataAE
4. H Arquitectes upgrades 1950s school building in Spain with a new facade
5. Palaeontology research centre wrapped in computer-controlled shutters